Thursday, October 24, 2013

Black Bean & Toasted Corn Tacos

Something really happens when you turn 50! I know because I'm trying all sorts of things that I've never tried before.  My latest venture is a 21 day Vegan Kick start.  Dr. Neal Barnard, President of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine,  promises that I'll become slimmer, have better movement in my joints, and will extend my life when I eat more vegetables, fruits, legumes, and grains and stay away from dairy, eggs, and meats.  This wasn't a  problem because I was moving in that direction anyway.  For tonight's dinner I had a taste for tacos.  I decided what ingredients I had a taste for and ta-da, we have tacos!


I followed the KISS method - Keep It Super Simple - and picked up the ingredients from the local grocery store.  Of course you could spend the time to make everything from scratch if you like.  But if you're like me and want to eat healthy, but not spend too much time in the kitchen, then this is the way to go.


Black Bean & Toasted Corn Tacos

Ingredients:
3 corn tortillas
1 can of black beans
1/2 c diced vegetables (onions, red & green bell peppers)
1 tsp. of cumin
1 c shredded iceberg lettuce
1 tomatoes (diced)
1 stalk of green onions (chopped)
3 tbsp chipotle garlic salsa

Preparation:

Preheat oven 375 degrees.  Place corn tortillas in a baking loaf.  I have a four loaf baking dish that I use to make small loaves of banana bread.  Bake tortillas for about 10-15 minutes until formed.  They should resemble a hard shell taco. 

In a saucepan, add the black beans, diced vegetables and cumin and heat until warm.

Place the corn tortillas in a plate, spoon in the black beans and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, and a tablespoon of salsa



1 comment:

  1. It is definitely a good idea to increase the amount of vegetables, fruits and legumes into your diet- A kick-start vegan diet awesome way to get practice. However, I have mixed thoughts about long term veganism.

    By the way, these tacos look amazing

    ReplyDelete