Saturday, December 7, 2013

Rosemerry's Rice Salad over Vegetable Greens

 
I love poking around Earth Fare, Whole Foods, and New Leaf Market seeing what new nutritional ideas and recipes I can find.  I found this recipe at New Leaf Market. Although I'm accustom to the spelling Rosemary (an herb that I love to add to soup), New Leaf Market's spelling of this recipe is Rosemerry.  Even my spellcheck doesn't agree with the spelling while I'm pinning this post.  Ha!  My first encounter with this very tasty rice salad was at New Leaf Market's delicious food bar.  After that, I was hooked and had to have the recipe for my very own!  Although it's sold in small containers in the refrigerated deli section of the store,  it sells out quickly and they don't always have it available at the food bar.  So I find it easier to make it myself and store the remaining in the freezer to enjoy whenever I want.   Just thaw, warm, and eat!
 
I make it a habit of including leafy greens and vegetables in my daily meals, so I added the rice salad over lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, and chopped granny smith apple to get the added fiber to leave me fully satisfied.
 

 
Recipe from New Leaf Market
Rosemerry's Rice Salad

3 cups cooked Brown Rice (cooled)
1 1/2 c Raisins
1 1/2 c chopped green onions
1 1/2 c chopped broccoli florets
1 1/2 c chopped celery
3/4 c sesame seeds
1 1/2 c cashew pieces (toasted or raw)
1 1/2 c chopped pecans

Dressing
3/4 c orange juice
1/2 c soy sauce
1/8 c rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1/2 c safflower oil

Directions:
Prepare rice according to directions.  Allow to cool.  In a large bowl, add the cooled rice and mix in the prepped vegetables, raisins, and nuts.

Take a separate bowl and add all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until smooth.  Pour dressing over rice mixture and fold until well coated.

Makes about 6 - 8 1 cup servings.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite bring to work lunches. I love all the crunchiness. Sometimes if I do not have any broculli or celery, I will subsitute water chestnuts. Water chestnuts are crunchy and will take on the flavor of the dressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, I will have to try the water chestnuts. I like them too!

    ReplyDelete